Recently the leaders of our pre-school group known as Cubbies in our AWANA children’s ministry made the decision to put a cap on the number of children who can be part of that age level this year. This decision was made after a lot of agonizing and it was done primarily for one reason: space restrictions.
In a time when most small town churches and their ministries are in decline, having a growing AWANA ministry that is busting at the seams is a good problem to have. Nevertheless, I know some are concerned about this decision. So, in this post I want to address those who are concerned with some brief thoughts…
· Though I wish this decision did not have to be made, I support those who made it. They were pressed to the limit last year. I want to give the freedom to those on the front lines actually doing the work to make those decisions—as much as we possibly can.
· The church values young children and also children’s ministry. We know how important it is to reach out to young children and expose them to the gospel as soon as possible. Those commitments have not changed.
· Many preschools, schools and other kinds of children’s ministries have to set limits on the numbers of children who can participate due to space and staffing limitations. It does not in any way suggest we don’t care about those children or those children’s families who may be turned away beyond the cap. Please join me in praying that we can keep significant connections to any preschoolers and families who have to be turned away this year and can bring them back in next year.
· Because we are in the process of planning to expand our facility, this cap should be a temporary cap.
· Speaking of our building expansion, this is one of the many bits of evidence that we are now at a place of desperately needing to expand—not for luxury purposes, but for ministry purposes.
· I want to thank all of our congregation for your patience during this time. We have a wonderful AWANA volunteer staff and leadership who all are doing a fantastic job in space that is now too small. We are praying that will change soon.
· Please keep our AWANA ministry and other ministries in prayer as we “ramp up” for a new year of ministry.